Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm an Asian Man and I Don't Care Who You Date!


If you don't know the reference of this blog's topic, don't worry. I'm sure you'll come across it sooner or later. I refuse to provide a link to it because I believe that's what the writer of the referred blog was going for; internet traffic!

I will say this...

Although, it is understandable that the intent of the writer (and the website she writes for) was to cause a strong reaction amongst its readers for more clicks--thus more revenue for the site--it is to my belief that the blog has but further exoticized Asian Women.

However, that's not really what I want to talk about.

To be honest, I really don't care who you date. But, this has brought something to my attention.

To the majority of the American public, Asian Women still seems to be the hot topic when it comes to relationships and still a lack of attention for the Asian Man...no matter how popular kpop has gotten.

Now, I'm not here to say that dating Asian Men is the better choice. (Implicit? Sure.) There's other Asian guys on the internet who can tell it better than I can, anyway.

What I'm really trying to get at is that the Asian Woman image doesn't seem to have got an update even with the birth of the internet, which I consider to be mass media at its finest.

Consider what results you'll get from searching "asian women" on Google. You're likely to find sites that are NSFW (Not Safe For Work, for the non-internet savvy individuals) and Asian Women dating sites on the first page of results. Additionally, the many rants by Asian American women of how they prefer other-than-asian Men.

You would think that by dating Non-Asian Men that Asian Women would be released of their "Oriental" image. I beg to differ. I think it keeps them locked in by advertising themselves as something different, fresh, better than, let's say, white girls.

It is the topic of interracial dating that maintains the exoticism of women; actually, of any race.

I don't see a problem with sharing stories of ones dating experiences, but to accentuate one another's race as a factor of attraction doesn't seem to help anyone break their stereotypes.

I know I said I would not link you to this blog's reference, but I do very much like the intelligent reactions to it...

Disturbing Trend
She's Just An Internet Troll
This Is Bullshit!

No comments:

Post a Comment